Friday, September 26, 2008

Food Rescue

by Barry

Have you ever wondered what happens to all that bread at Panera at the end of the day? I mean, they have quality standards to live up to, right? The answer is, they throw it away. Thousands and thousands of pounds of bread. In the trash.

Of course, if you're like me, you hear that and think "Gee. I sure wish someone would do something about that. Especially with so many hungry people in my city!"

Well someone is doing something about it. Lots of someones actually.

The organization is called Food Rescue. Way back in 2007, a man named John Williamson in Noblesville, IN started collecting leftover bread with his family, and driving it over to a local food pantry. He had no idea what this was going to turn into!

In less than two years, his organization has grown into 20 separate chapters that coordinate almost 600 volunteers nation wide!
Why has it become such a huge success? Well, let me tell you.
A) It just makes sense! Why throw away bread when you can give it to someone who is hungry?
B) It is super easy to make a huge difference. Volunteers around the country giving just 90 minutes of their time once a week have "rescued" literally millions of dollars worth of bread!
Need I say more?

If you're interested in getting involved, check out Food Rescue's list of chapters. If there isn't one in your area, maybe you could start one! It's all there on the page.

Darn. And I thought helping to feed the poor was difficult! Now I don't have any excuse... :)

No comments: